Saturday, January 21, 2012

Following in My Parents Footsteps

    Have you ever found yourself saying something and thinking you’ve turned into your own mother or father? Did you say to yourself before you had children "I will never say that to my kids"?
    Well, I’d like to congratulate you if you’ve managed to stick to your guns, because I certainly haven’t.
    Some days, I string so many silly sayings together it’s like I’m reading from a ‘How To Sound Exactly Like Your Parents’. Never say Never. As I sat in my parents living room this evening I was laughing to myself at some of the things my parents used to say to me because I caught myself saying some of those thing to my son. So after thinking about it I have come up with the Top 5 sayings I remember hearing as a kid. But as a parent myself, I have learned what any parent really means when they say them.

#5.  "If I have to come in there you’ll be in big trouble”  Quite often this is said when you have just sat down for a five minute break and can’t be bothered getting off the couch.

#4. “If I’ve told you once, I’ve told you a thousand times”  If you’ve said this once I guarantee you’ve said it a thousand times or maybe even a million times if you have a few children. It doesn’t have a purpose, except for being better than saying: “I told you so”.

#3.  “Alright that’s it – I’m counting to five”  You know it’s a bad day when you actually make it to five. If you’re anything like me, sometimes you actually have no idea what you are going to do when you get there. Quite often, this saying is followed up with: “I give up”.

#2. “If you don’t eat your vegetables you won’t get any dessert”  This one is quite handy when you have run out of dessert options and you are pretty certain your children will not eat up their vegetables.

And the number one saying and my favorite........

#1. “Because I said so”  When you don’t know the answer to something or you have no more energy to explain things or you’ve run out other sayings to make your point, then this is perfect thing to say.

It’s so funny that no matter how hard we try we always turn into our parents. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment